Wednesday 11 April 2012

Adoption - It really is incredible

I'm sat writing this whilst watching One Born Every Minute USA. One girl called Sam is just going in for a C-Section to deliver her twins, but she's only their birth mother. The twin's adoptive parents are in the family waiting room, praying that Sam doesn't change her mind about the adoption. A biological mother actually has 72 hours after the birth to change her mind and request that she have her child/children back.

The twins are successfully delivered, and meeting their adoptive parents within a short time of their delivery. There is such a joyous atmosphere, a couple that have waited 13 years for their family to begin, now no longer a couple but a family of four. I know that many people have different reasoning behind adoption, but personally, I don't think that I would be mentally strong enough to go through with it. I couldn't give birth to my child, and then just pass it over. The birth mother, Sam, was just speaking about love, and how there is no greater love than that between a mother and her child. When she first held the twins she told them "I love you." How can you love a child and let it go?
Catelynn Lowell Tyler Baltierra and Carly prior to the filming of Teen Mom
Baby Carly with her birth parents

I know that for many young girls that find they are pregnant adoption could be the best choice for them and the baby. They are young and want to get on with their life. As Catelynn  from 16 and Pregnant* said on the Adoption Special "There's not a day go by that Carly (her baby) doesn't cross my mind." If that is the case, then how can she mentally endure that kind of pain, having that gap forever in your heart.

What if you give up your baby for adoption when you think you're too young to care for it, and then regret it for the rest of your life? Later on in life if you're unable to have kids you would become even more heartbroken, know that once you did create life, but now you're unable to do so. You once had the child that you're now wishing so much for...

I do have a strong view on adoption. It's not even something that crossed my mind when I found out I was pregnant with Willow. I don't think I would be strong enough to have had an abortion had I been able to. The fact that I didn't find out I was pregnant until 33 weeks into the pregnancy. If I had, then I would have gone for an abortion as that is what everyone else wanted. I would forever regret it and hate myself for going through with it. 

*I don't have an obsession with US baby shows, honest! Okay, maybe a little...

Much Love xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment